Archiving Old Email
Posted by Kristy Rhea on 31 March 2009 09:08 AM
As time goes on, the amount of email you keep may become cumbersome. If you would like to clean out old email but do not want to delete them permanently you may consider archiving. Please read all information before deciding to archive email!!!
When you archive, it will remove e-mails from a mail folder and place them into a file. There are two options for accessing those e-mails once archived:
1. In the upper left corner of Outlook, click on File then choose the option Cleanup Tools.
2. In the Archive dialog box, choose Archive this folder and all subfolders.
3. Choose the folder you wish to archive by clicking to highlight.
4. In the Archive items older than drop down box, choose a date that you are comfortable with archiving.
NOTE: The archive will remove emails from your current folder. You may only want to archive messages older than a few months to reduce the need to view an email you have archived.
5. In the archive file area, choose Browse.
6. Drop the arrow down for the Save in box and choose your S: Personal Files. (You may consider creating a new folder on your S: Drive to better organize your outlook archives.)
7. In the file name box, choose a name that you will recognize if you need to restore these emails at a later date. Example: Deleted Items Dec 08.
8. Click OK
9. Your emails will now start to archive. A status will be shown at the bottom of your screen. NOTE: If you have several emails you are archiving this could take a few minutes.
NOTE: Archiving will remove emails from your current folder and will no longer be visible in Outlook, unless you restore the mail or add a data file.
To add the archive as a data file: