When working with large spreadsheets it my be helpful to lock or "freeze" your header row. This allows you to scroll through the spreadsheet with the top row remaining viewable at all times. Follow these directions to freeze a column and/or row.
1. Go to the View tab and the Window group and click the arrow beside Freeze Panes.
2. To lock a single row, click Freeze Top Row.
3. To lock a single column, click Freeze First Column.
4. To unfreeze a row or column, follow the same process but choose Unfreeze Panes.
Freezing a column and a row at the same time.
At times you may want to freeze a column and a row at the same time. For example your header row and the first column to the left.
1. Select the cell that corresponds with Row 2, Column 2 (Cell labeled B2)
2. Go to the View tab and the Window group and click the arrow beside Freeze Panes.
3. Click the option for Freeze Panes.